Content Strategist/Brand Storyteller
Premera Blue Cross | Mountlake Terrace, Wash. | May 2016 – present
- Addressed commonly asked health insurance questions in plain language and in context. Goal was to reduce calls 6%. With just organic traffic in the first year, phone calls decreased 10.5%.
- Noticed a lack of collaboration among company communicators and started a monthly networking gathering. Opening communication helped reduce redundancy and improve trust.
- Created company-wide editorial calendar, which reduced confusion and increased collaboration.
- Started LinkedIn group and recruited content creators from across the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. This created the first opportunity for us to share successes and best practices.
Seattle and New York City | May 2012 – present
- Collaborated on and co-wrote book to encourage self-confidence and taking care of mental health with a licensed therapist.
- Wrote health articles for MSN, Self, Thrillist, and The Body Department.
- Created meaningful brand copy for Precor Home Fitness, Kinetic Sports Rehab, and Holland America.
- Helped brand T-Mobile sales page, which led to 4 times more conversion than unbranded sales.
- Wrote and user tested copy for personalized experiences for known T-Mobile customers.
- Crafted storylines for launch of HTC Innovations line of devices.
- Prepared content for HTC in-store banners, emails, and web content, then tested to optimize.
Health and Fitness Editor
MSN.com | Redmond, Wash. | July 2015 – May 2016
- Increased lifestyle, food, and health vertical page views from 15 million to 40 million per month. Used relationships with editors to learn their needs and work together. Revised pitch timing based on those conversations.
- Brainstormed story ideas with partners at publishing companies to create content to fit both companies’ needs.
- Focused on engaging users with useful health information over clickbait or scary headlines.
Homepage Content Editor for MSN.com
Aquent Studios | Seattle and New York City | 2005- 2014
- Wrote headlines and selected content to drive 22-32 million daily page views in fast-paced newsroom. Edited 60 pieces per day.
- Used experience and natural empathy to increase health blog traffic from 500,000 page views per month to more than 1.1 million.
- Managed partnerships with channel managers and content partners to meet campaign goals.
General Assignment Reporter
Stephen’s Media | Montesano, Wash. | 2003 – 2005
- Won Washington Newspaper Publishers Association awards for in-depth, education and breaking news reporting.
- Conceptualized and wrote special edition on population growth in east side of the county, which helped increase circulation from 19 to 38 percent in the region.
TECHNOLOGIES AND SKILLS
Content Strategy, Customer Listening, Journalism, Storytelling, SEO, Intelligent Content, Marketing, AP Style, Editing, Branding, Word, Sharepoint, Microsoft, Apple, WordPress, CMS, WebTrends, Screaming Frog, Analytics.
University of New England
Master of Science in Applied Nutrition | 2018-2020
New York University
Certificate of Digital Publishing | 2013
Certificate of Intellectual Property Law | 2015
Western Washington University
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. Minor in Psychology | 2003