Content Strategist/Brand Storyteller
Premera Blue Cross | Mountlake Terrace, Wash. | May 2016 – present
- Editorial director of relaunch of ActivelyNorthwest.com, a healthy living digital magazine for the Pacific Northwest. Managed writers, editorial calendar, social media, and budget. Organic traffic accounts for more than 5,000 page views per month.
- Wrote nutrition, fitness, and healthy living content for ActivelyNorthwest.com.
- Defined brand through strategic communication. Planned paid and earned video stories and wrote web content. Wrote speeches and articles for executives and medical directors.
- Helped customers use their (confusing!) health plans by optimizing the content strategy. Delivered information where they look for it and using language they use. The result was a 10.5 percent reduction in phone calls in the first year. Traffic was organic.
- Used data, analytics, and experience to optimize customer experiences.
Seattle and New York City | May 2012 – present
- Wrote health articles for MSN, Self, and Thrillist. A Self article inspired an NBC Nightly News segment.
- Taught Writing With Confidence workshop and SEO best practices to corporate clients.
- Created branded copy for Precor Home Fitness, Kinetic Sports Rehab, and Holland America.
- Helped brand T-Mobile sales page, which led to 4 times more conversion than unbranded sales.
Health and Fitness Editor
MSN.com | Redmond, Wash. | July 2015 – May 2016
- Increased page views from 15 million to 40 million per month by revising pitch process and communicating with stakeholders and partners at publishing companies.
- Used analytics and experience to manage lifestyle, food, and health content.
- Focused on engaging users with useful health information over clickbait or scary headlines.
Homepage Content Editor for MSN.com
Aquent Studios | Seattle and New York City | 2005- 2014
- Wrote headlines, met tight deadlines, and programmed content to help drive 22-32 million daily page views starting in the early hours of a busy newsroom. Edited 60 pieces per day.
- Reworked headlines and timed pitches to increase MSN Healthy Living blog traffic from 500,000 page views per month to more than 1.1 million–in just one month and without paid promotion.
- Represented the network and company to Facebook’s 4.4M fans and Twitter’s 192K followers.
General Assignment Reporter
Stephen’s Media | Montesano, Wash. | 2003 – 2005
- Won Washington Newspaper Publishers Association awards for in-depth, education and breaking news reporting.
- Conceptualized and wrote special edition on population growth in east side of the county, which helped increase circulation from 19 to 38 percent in the region.
University of New England
Master of Science Applied Nutrition | 2020
Emphasis on accurate research reporting, behavior change, and social determinants of health.
New York University
Certificate of Digital Publishing | 2013
Certificate of Intellectual Property Law | 2015
Western Washington University
Bachelor of Arts Journalism, Psychology | 2003
Certified Nutritionist, Washington state Department of Health