Content Strategist/Brand Storyteller
Premera Blue Cross | Mountlake Terrace, Wash. | May 2016 – present
- Helped customers use their (confusing!) plans by delivering the information where customers look for it and using language they use. The result was a 10.5 percent reduction in phone calls in the first year! Traffic was organic.
- Told brand stories through sponsored media, social media, blog, presentations, and web content.
- Initiated customer-feedback committee to identify pain points and help prioritize projects. Quick wins and longer-term improvements helped raise customer satisfaction scores.
- Started two collaboration groups. The first brought company communicators together to share work for the first time. The second united content strategy counterparts across the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association to share best practices.
Seattle and New York City | May 2012 – present
- Using my passion for healthy living, I have written about nutrition, fitness, and mental health for MSN, Thrillist, Self, Beauty News NYC, and more.
- Helped establish brand tone and voice by crafting storylines for corporate clients, including HTC Innovations, Precor Home Fitness, Kinetic Sports Rehab, T-Mobile, and Holland America Line.
- Taught corporate clients a Writing With Confidence workshop to encourage staff members to share their stories.
Health and Fitness Editor
MSN.com | Redmond, Wash. | July 2015 – May 2016
Doubled vertical page views by revising the pitch process and opening communications with content partners and homepage editors. Built and maintained relationships with content partners at publishing companies.
Homepage Content Editor for MSN.com
Aquent Studios | Seattle and New York City | 2005- 2014
- Wrote headlines, met tight deadlines, and programmed content to help drive 22-32 million daily page views starting in the early hours of a busy newsroom.
- Reworked headlines and timed pitches to increase MSN Healthy Living blog traffic from 500,000 page views per month to more than 1.1 million.
- Represented the network and company to Facebook’s 4.4M fans and Twitter’s 192K followers.
General Assignment Reporter
Stephen’s Media | Montesano, Wash. | 2003 – 2005
- Won Washington Newspaper Publishers Association awards for in-depth, education and breaking news reporting.
- Conceptualized and wrote special edition on population growth in east side of the county, which helped increase circulation from 19 to 38 percent in the region.
University of New England
Master of Science Applied Nutrition | 2018-2020
Emphasis on accurate research reporting, behavior change, and social determinants of health.
New York University
Certificate of Digital Publishing | 2013
Certificate of Intellectual Property Law | 2015
Western Washington University
Bachelor of Arts Journalism, Psychology | 2003