I’m highly critical of dumb Buzzfeed quizzes. I can see from a mile away that choosing a city to live in based on a quiz that asks you to select the cutest kitten picture isn’t an accurate way to plan your life. I took a quiz this weekend that is better.
The Rhys Method (still under construction) makes a lot of sense to me. It’s long. Carve out a good hour to go through it, but it’s intelligent, and I found the description of me quite accurate and useful.
My results were very close, but “knowledgeable achiever” came out on top.
- Are driven to study. (Uh, yeah, I might be addicted to continuing education classes.)
- Are people who see the big picture. You walk in a room and you can see what works and what will not work. (Now I’m getting chills.)
- Are grounded and balanced body. Make great athletes: (Meh, grounded and balanced, yes. And, um, I do show up to soccer on time every week.)
- Push themselves beyond their limits. Decide, “I have to achieve this!” They will do it. (I will do it!)
- Hold back on feelings. (Not so much.)
- Don’t notice they’re pushing themselves too far. Deny internal exhaustion to keep going because the future is more important than the present. (Guilty.)
- Are highly critical of “poor me” types. (Get it together!)
- Get 8 hours of sleep. (7.5 actually.)
- Goal-setters who know to separate what’s possible from what’s pie-in-the-sky. (I like to think so.)
- Help, support, guide people into getting into the right place for them. (Push, more like.)
- Often say, “I’m not mad, I’m frustrated.” (Every day.)
- Don’t need anyone else. I can do it myself. (“Candace do it!”)
- Are giving and caring. (Yeah.)
- Resort to playing by the rules when life gets out of hand. (I hadn’t noticed.)
- Love to learn something, develop skills, then share it. (What do you think I’m doing right now?)
- Are more self-critical than externally motivated. (Amen, brothah!)
- Can be incredibly hard on themselves and critical of others who aren’t getting the job done. (But I still love you.)
Go take the quiz! And find the place that’s right for you. I’m helping, supporting and guiding, not pushing. I’m also keeping this in mind as I look into my next career move without being too self-critical and exhausting myself.
I’m a journalist, content strategist, doting auntie, amateur bobsledder, fitness enthusiast, and wannabe health nut (who loves chocolate and pizza too much to fully commit). I don't want you to think my life is perfect. It's not.