There’s something big in those words, “Next stop: New York City!” I love hearing it boom through the Amtrak train. It’s like when I first moved here. I feel like life is full of hope and anything can happen in this place.
Some of the magic and allure is wearing off. I realize New York isn’t the only city. I’ve loved hopping on a train or MegaBus for weekend trips in the Eastern US. I think I could live happily in any one of them. I fancy myself a laid-back West Coast girl, but I have plenty of reasons to love living on the East Coast.
- Jump on a train or bus, be in another city with an entirely different personality in 4 hours.
- No car required.
- Accents. Everywhere!
- Is it just me, or does everyone here speak two languages?
- Show endings are never spoiled on social media.
- Media jobs are here.
- Lobster, clams and crabs.
- After that long, cold winter, spring feels so good.
- Fashion starts here.
- I like that people don’t dress like slobs here. (Sorry, Seattle!)
I admit: New York is a classic for a reason.