It’s been a crazy week. My roommate and I … don’t have so much in common. That’s putting it nicely. Yesterday, she told me we were getting evicted on Nov. 30. Today she went downstairs and talked the management out of evicting us, so that’s good, I guess.
Except a huge part of me was willing to pack my boxes again and head to Brooklyn. I’m actually sitting here disappointed I’m not being evicted.
So I’m going to take a minute and remind myself what I like about my apartment.
- My spacious room. There’s plenty of space for my chair. I have a rolling desk on the way. I might even buy a bookshelf. I could set up my yoga mat and do some poses. Huge step up from my 8×10 room in Hell’s Kitchen.
- Laundry in the building. It’s so glorious. The laundry room has so many clean, working machines. I can just catch the elevator back upstairs while I’m waiting.
- Sprinkles by Candace Nelson is three blocks away.
- Jen is 20 blocks above me.
- There isn’t a pizza place or cookie place across the street tempting me.
- My roommate buys toilet paper, cleaning supplies and paper towels.
- She also has scented candles and things that make the place smell good.
- I can walk to work. It’s three miles round trip. It’s not six flights of stairs, but it’s not a bad workout.
- My lease goes through May 31, 2013. Then I can get the &%@$ out of this place!
- There’s a treadmill right downstairs. No excuses for not using it. I even caught a good portion of the Seahawks-Jets game yesterday. I was the only one cheering for the Hawks!
- My roommate gets up hours after me, so no bathroom traffic jams.
- The trash shoot means I don’t have to go out in the rat area to sort my recyclables.
- The doormen carry things up for me when necessary.
I’m a journalist, content strategist, doting auntie, amateur bobsledder, fitness enthusiast, and wannabe health nut (who loves chocolate and pizza too much to fully commit). I don't want you to think my life is perfect. It's not.