I went running in NYC for the first time today. I went from the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum to Chelsea Piers along the Hudson River and back. It was a slow 5K. I stopped to dodge pedestrians and dogs on the sidewalk. I stopped at heavily trafficked intersections and to take a few pictures. I also found myself frustrated at a bus terminal when it became clear I ventured off the running path.
I had a bad running time, but a great time running. And in spite of the confusion, I reminded myself that it’s only my first time once. Next time I run the Hudson, I’ll have a better idea of the best route. I won’t get tripped up by the bus depot.
As I was running, I thought about – then let go of – some missteps I’ve made since I got here. Some are rather embarrassing, but whatever. I’m only new once. I hope you all look at things the same way and move on easily from flubs. In case you don’t, I will share my list. Some of these are embarrassing.
- At the laundromat, I popped in my quarters and put in my soap, then ran next door to buy some juice and break a $20 so I could get more quarters from the machine. When I got back from the grocery store, I noticed I didn’t lock the washing machine, so it hadn’t been washing at all. Whoops.
- Then I moved to the dryer, put my quarters in and set it to permanent press. I grabbed a seat to play with my phone for 35 minutes. 30 minutes later I went to check on my clothes. They were sitting there in a wet pile, not spinning. I didn’t hit “start.” D’oh! (Pretty sure the ladies who work there were laughing at me in Spanish.)
- I packed all my pajamas in the box that was shipped to my sister’s house. I’ve been wearing the same yoga pants to bed since my last night in Seattle.
- I also packed all my raincoats in the box that was shipped to my sister’s house.
- I sent an update at work but forgot to include the URL I wanted my headline linked to. I got called out in front of the whole team.
- I got locked out of my office two times today.
- I spilled on my cute white-and-blue striped dress today at work. I blotted it out in the ladies’ room, which toned down the color, but left a big wet spot. As I walked back to my desk, the managing editor was standing there with a bunch of execs. I considered hiding, but Don said, “And there’s Candace! Candace just joined us from Seattle.” So I got to meet managing editors from MSN pages around the world with an off-colored wet spot on my white stripe.
This one wasn’t a flub, but as long as I’m confessing, I stopped into the Times Square M&M’s store today for crazy-colored candies. I bought two pounds (and paid a ridiculous amount of money for them). I came home and dug right in to the purple, light blue and teal. Hence the need for running.
I think I’ll stop there. And please know I’m laughing about these things. Not fretting about them. But I am excited to be reunited with my raincoats and pajamas this weekend. It’ll be good to see my sister, too. *Wink